STEP 2: Seven Keys to Effective Feedback (Fall 2016)

feedback imageUse this forum to share and brainstorm your thoughts and ideas after reading the Feedback:  Seven Keys to Effective Feedback.  Read the article and add your reflection by replying in the threads below. Please feel free to respond to other forum users.

Please share your "wonders" and any "aha's" that you might have gotten in each section of the article. REMEMBER - the more you participate the more you get out of the discussions, so please try to respond to others as well.

Click on the images within the forum topics to return to the forum home.

Click here to see what participants in the summer 2016 Assessment Academy thought.

Picture of BPS Facilitator
Key 7: Consistent
by BPS Facilitator - Monday, 17 October 2016, 3:21 PM

consistency imageConsistent

READ: To be useful, feedback must be consistent. Clearly, performers can only adjust their performance successfully if the information fed back to them is stable, accurate, and trustworthy. In education, that means teachers have to be on the same page about what high-quality work is. ...

Read the rest of this topic
(137 words)
Key 6: Ongoing
by BPS Facilitator - Monday, 17 October 2016, 3:19 PM

Ongoing imageOngoing

READ: Adjusting our performance depends on not only receiving feedback but also having opportunities to use it. What makes any assessment in education formative is not merely that it precedes summative assessments, but that the performer has opportunities, if results are less than ...

(283 words)
Key 5: Timely
by BPS Facilitator - Monday, 17 October 2016, 3:17 PM

Timely imageTimely

READ: In most cases, the sooner I get feedback, the better. I don't want to wait for hours or days to find out whether my students were attentive and whether they learned, or which part of my written story works and which part doesn't. I say "in most cases" to allow for situations like ...

(287 words)
Key 4: User Friendly
by BPS Facilitator - Monday, 17 October 2016, 3:16 PM

User-Friendly imageUser-Friendly

READ: Even if feedback is specific and accurate in the eyes of experts or bystanders, it is not of much value if the user cannot understand it or is overwhelmed by it. Highly technical feedback will seem odd and confusing to a novice. Describing a baseball swing to a 6-year-old in ...

(198 words)
Key 3: Actionable
by BPS Facilitator - Monday, 17 October 2016, 3:14 PM

actionable imageActionable

READ: Effective feedback is concrete, specific, and useful; it provides actionable information. Thus, "Good job!" and "You did that wrong" and B+ are not feedback at all. We can easily imagine the learners asking themselves in response to these comments, What specifically should I do ...

(355 words)
Key 2: Tangible and Transparent
by BPS Facilitator - Monday, 17 October 2016, 3:11 PM

Transparency ImagesTangible and Transparent

READ: Any useful feedback system involves not only a clear goal, but also tangible results related to the goal. People laugh, chuckle, or don't laugh at each joke; students are highly attentive, somewhat attentive, or inattentive to my teaching.

Even as little children,...

(403 words)
Key 1: Goal Referenced
by BPS Facilitator - Monday, 17 October 2016, 3:05 PM

Goal Reference ImageGoal-Referenced

READ: Effective feedback requires that a person has a goal, takes action to achieve the goal, and receives goal-related information about his or her actions. I told a joke—why? To make people laugh. I wrote a story to engage the reader with vivid language and believable dialogue ...

(336 words)