English 10 (ENG201) Master Course
RESEARCH WRITING PROCESS
As you conduct your research, take notes and write out quotations related to your thesis.
- Keep all notes on index cards in Noodle Tools.
- Keep actual notes written on articles in Google Docs (include a citation for your Google Docs so you know where you can find it).
- Record important details and quotations, along with the page numbers where this information can be found.
- Use an ellipsis (. . .) if you need to leave words out of a quotation. Use brackets ( [...] ) around your own words that are added to quotations.
- Give each card a slug (a word or a phrase to highlight the main idea of that note card).
Use the PQSD format to guide your note taking.
- P stands for Paraphrase.
- Q stands for Quote.
- S stands for Summary.
- D stands for Definition.